1.317 Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee
|CHAPTER||Committees--School of Medicine||DATE ISSUED|
|SUBJECT||Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee|
The School of Medicine shall establish an Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee.
To evaluate proposals from tull-time tenured faculty for professional development and renewal.
A. The Dean, upon the recommendations of the Committee on Faculty Affairs, appoints three members to the committee. The members serve a three-year term and may be reappointed for an additional term. Meetings are held to review applications annually and when necessary and appropriate.
B. Applications must be submitted to the departmental chair. The Chair forwards an original and five copies of the application to the Dean’s office of the School of Medicine for review by the Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee. Applications must be submitted at least ten months before the beginning of the semester in which the proposed leave will occur. The following documentation is necessary:
1. The faculty member must submit a plan for the leave which promises professional development and/or renewal and indicates the requested start date and end date of the sabbatical.
2. A letter from the host institution signed by the individual under whose mentorship the sabbatical will occur.
3. A curriculum vitae, including current grant information.
4. A statement from the applicant’s department chair must document support and demonstrate an interim plan for covering the applicant’s responsibilities while away.
5. A report from the recipient must be submitted to the Committee within one semester after return.
C. Academic/sabbatical leave shall be for 12 months at one-half annual salary or six months at full salary.
D. An additional application for leave will not be considered until six years have passed since the previous leave. A recipient must return to the School of Medicine and remain in service for at least one year following the leave.
The Faculty Manual of Saint Louis University – See “Sabbatical Leave”
VI. Review DateReviewed annually and revised when necessary and apprpriate..
Approved: Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine
Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee Membership List (2012-2013)
Member Department Term Michael Ariel, Ph.D. Committee Chairperson Pharmacological and
07/09-06/15* David Ford, Ph.D. Biochemistry and Molecular
07/10-06/13 Miriam B. Rodin, M.D. Internal Medicine 07/12-06/15 *indicates reappointment for additional term