David Wilson received 3rd Place for his poster presentation at the Nineteenth Annual Graduate Research Symposium at Saint Louis University on April 26, 2013
| Contact Us|
Pharmacological & Physiological Science
Room M 362 || 1402 South Grand Blvd
St. Louis, Missouri 63104
Mark Knuepfer, Ph.D.
Stephens College, 2000-2004, Biology, Chemistry
Honors and Awards
Stephens College: Dean’s List; Outstanding Junior-Senior Biology Major Award Recipient, 2002-2003 & 2003-2004; Outstanding Junior-Senior Physical Science Award Recipient, 2003-2004; Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges; Presidential Election Committee; Student Government Outstanding Leadership Award Recipient; President of Mortar Board-Athena Chapter.
- Undergraduate: Teaching assistant for introductory biology courses (lab/lecture); Counselor for Practical Anatomy & Surgical Technique Workshop of St. Louis (Summer Workshop, lab/lecture); Facilitator for economic (lecture) Mathews-Dickey Boys’ & Girls’ Club.
- Graduate: Co-section director for an undergraduate course, Drugs We Use and Abuse (lecture); Instructor for Telemetry Research, Long term recording of sympathetic nerve activity in conscious animals, Master Class surgical workshop (surgical demonstration/lecture).
Current Research and Activities
Variability of hemodynamic and renal sympathetic nerve activity in response to stress in rats. Examination of the Contributions of Sympathetic Nerve Activity and Angiotensin II Type I Receptors in the Paraventricular Nucleus of the Hypothalamus During the Development of Ischemic Heart Failure (mentor: M.M. Knuepfer, Ph.D.)
- Student Research Assistant in the Department of Natural Science at Stephens College, 2003-2004
- Undergraduate: Bacterial isolation and identification in lead contaminated soil.
- Graduate: Entered lab of Mark Knuepfer in May 2006.
Burris SK, Knuepfer MM. “Long-term recording of sympathetic nerve activity using telemetry in conscious rats.” FASEB Journal: 21(6), A888, 2007.
Mark M. Knuepfer, Burris SK, Allam TS, Schwartz JA, Kennedy JN. “Repeated daily recording of single axons in sympathetic nerves of conscious rats.” FASEB Journal: 21(6), A888, 2007.
Schwartz JA, Burris SK, Brennan JN, and Knuepfer MM. Alterations in hemodynamic response variability following acute stressors in Dahl salt-sensitive-mcw and Brown Norway-mcw rats on a high salt diet. FASEB Journal: 21(5), A515, 2007.
Burris SK, Knuepfer MM. "Changes in sympathetic nerve activity during the development of hypertension in conscious rats." FASEB Summer Conference 2007, Australia.
Burris SK, Knuepfer MM. “Long-term recording of sympathetic nerve activity in conscious rats using telemetry.” Experimental Biology 2008, San Diego.
Burris SK, Knuepfer MM.“Sympathetic nerve activity during the development of ischemic heart failure in conscious rats.” Beijing Joint Conference 2008, China.